Cross-posted at Now Public.
CONTACT: Atty. Francis L. Holland
Francis L. Holland Blog
55 (73) 9123-2538
Phillip Anschutz, the new owner of the Now Public "crowd powered" liberal news site online, has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republicans and Republican causes, including $3,000 to Senator John McCain and the Colorado Republican Party, according to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).
According to the Federal Election Commission (, Phillip ) has made contributions to Republican Party state branches in including $3,000 to Senator John McCain and the Colorado Republican Party, The "Now Public" blog site, where members of the general public post news stories, bills itself as a "Crowd Powered Media" website.
Phillip world's 89th wealthiest billionaire, according to Forbes, has been a consistent giver to Republican candidates and causes since at least 1999. The Contributions to Political Committees report says that Phillip of Denver, Colorado gave:
- $58,900 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee between 2008 and 2009;
- $1,000 to John D. Ashcroft, who was President George W. Bush's Attorney General from 2001 until 2005 and was a fiercely anti-abortion Republican Senator;
- $10,000 dollars to the Republican Federal Committee of Pennsylvania;
- $1,000 to Larry E. Craig for US Senate (who subsequently left the US Senate after confessing to committing a sex crime in an airport bathroom);
- $1,000 to Elizabeth Dole
- $5,000 to the CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA PAC (US CHAMBER PAC);
- $1,000 to Friends of Sam , "the evangelical-turned-Catholic religious conservative who endorsed McCain shortly after ending his own presidential campaign in October [in 2007]. http://blog..com/ /2007/12/with-help-from- - .html
- And other Republicans listed in the Federal Election Commission's Contributions to Political Committees Report
"Pitiful shame to hear that. Now we have to start another News Outlet to carry on Now Public original traditions."
With Now Public owned by multi-billionaire Phillip , who has been a consistent supporter and substantial contributor to Republican candidates and causes, many liberals who want to publish news and opinions online for large audiences may find themselves increasingly squeezed out.
The also lists contributions' to at least ten state Republican Party entities:
|ILLINOIS REPUBLICAN PARTY|
|MICHIGAN REPUBLICAN PARTY|
|NEW JERSEY REPUBLICAN STATE COMMITTEE|
|NEW YORK REPUBLICAN FEDERAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE|
|OHIO REPUBLICAN PARTY STATE CENTRAL & EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE|
|REPUBLICAN FEDERAL COMMITTEE OF PENNSYLVANIA|
|REPUBLICAN PARTY OF FLORIDA|
|REPUBLICAN PARTY OF KENTUCKY|
|REPUBLICAN PARTY OF VIRGINIA INC|
|WASHINGTON STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY|
The Francis L. Holland Blog
55 (73) 9123-2538
http://query..com/ -bin/ /2/%28lname|MATCHES|: *:%29|AND|%28fname|MATCHES|:PHILIP*:%29
http://blog..com/ /2007/12/with-help-from- - .html
http://www..org/index. ?title=Markos_ _Z%C3%
http://. .com/2009/09/ -republican-campaign.html