Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Radar Online Magazine Questions MAMZ's CIA Connections and Resulting Conflicts of Interest


Markos C.A. Moulitsas Zúñiga (MAMZ's) CIA connections, and his resulting conflicts of interest, are beginning to become more widely known. And few people are willing to look on MAMZ's year at the CIA as favorably as the MAMZ minions do. Look at this interview from Radar Online, for example:
I found this surprising: You almost joined the CIA as a covert operative a few years ago, after starting Daily Kos. Did you apply for a job or were you recruited?

I applied. I also applied at the State Department, but only the CIA showed interest. I was underemployed, and I didn't have very good job opportunities at the time. It was something that seemed to be up my alley. I'm interested in politics, I'm interested in foreign relations, I'm interested in analyzing stuff and writing about it. The interviewing process took a year, between security checks and all sorts of psych evaluations and drug tests.

Do you think the Agency's interest in you had anything to do with the fact that you were becoming influential in liberal politics?

I wasn't then. This was late 2002 and nobody knew I existed. I started blogging in early 2002, and it was around that summer, probably, that I applied. I don't think they knew about Daily Kos until I disclosed it. Part of my extracurricular activities and whatnot. Radar Online

Also interesting from the interview in terms of MAMZ lack of bona fides as a "progressive":

Do you still hold opinions these days that the young Republican Kos would endorse?
I'm a free-trader. I believe in minimal regulation for small businesses. I like to make a lot of money.

How are you doing on that front?
I could always do better. I'm definitely a capitalist. Radar Online
How many progressives would describe themselves that way? It seems to me that this is precisely the character type that we would have called a "square" "running dog lackey" of the capitalist system back in the 1960's. This is a description of the members of the American Chamber of Commerce, not thier union-member working-class opponents.

So, when did materialist who believe in business' freedom to pollute rivers ("minimal regulation") and who try to join the CIA suddenly become progressive? In fact, if you admit MAMZ into the progressive club, you have to concede that the entire American political spectrum consists of various variants of amoral and greedy selfish capitalist Republicans. And the name "progressive" is just new window-dressing for an old Republican habit.

Hat Tip to Stu Piddy for this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

links to the article are broken, try this one:

http://www.radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/10/markos_moulitsas_daily_kos_netroots_clinton_obama_edwards_3.php

Francis Holland said...

Thanks, Anonymous!

Jonathan Trenn said...

What is the matter with being a capitalist? Or wanting to make money?